The cyclist’s union is glad to see you cycling in Maastricht. Enjoy it! We are volunteers who do a lot of activities to make Maastricht a stronger cycling city.
Today we started for you a small page in English on our website.
It’s a simple start. We offer:
Some traffic rules that often aren’t understood by internationals:
- In most cases you cycle on the right side of the road. Sometimes we have a cycleway on the left side only, that is meant for one way cycling. There you should stick to the right road side, mixing with the other traffic. Look at signposts for the cases that the cycleway ont the left side is bi-directional.
- Sharks teeth on the road surface mean that you have to give way.
- When cycling in the dark your bike needs to have lights.
The most important parking rules:
- In a large area of the city centre and and near the central station it is forbidden to park your bike excepted in bike racks or parkings.
- In other areas the pavement is the place for parking bikes.
- Do mind about pedestrians and inhabitants.
Put, if possible, your bike in a safe place, because many bikes are unfortunately stolen.
If you ever would leave Maastricht to move to another nice place, then take your bike with you and spread the biking culture. Or give you bike to someone who is happy with it. Don’t leave your bike in the bike rack to fall in pieces. The Maastricht people want to keep their town nice for everyone.